I love ice cream sandwiches on a hot day but I wanted to create a healthy alternative!
- 2 cans of Whole Foods coconut milk
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla extract
- Pinch of flaked sea salt
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of Califia almond milk (for blending)
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup soft Medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup of Califia almond milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1. Shake the coconut milk first. Combine the ice cream ingredients together in a bowl (except for almond milk). Pour into a tray and freeze. (If you have silicone molds for mini muffins, I would suggest pouring the ingredients into it as it would make it easier than putting it into a baking dish and freezing it. You can also use ice cube trays).
2. Freeze coconut ice cream for 4 hours.
3. Create the crust by placing all ingredients in high-speed blender or Vitamix. A high-speed food processor works well too. (I also found using a small food processor is better when making small batches). Scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor until crust is thick and smooth.
4. Remove and place frozen coconut cream in a high-speed blender or Vitamix. Use the almond milk a little at a time to blend the ice cream to desired thickness.
5. There are a couple of ways to put the sandwiches together depending on the tools you have. I used a Chef'n ice-cream sandwich maker that you can get from Williams Sonoma. I put a layer of the crust and then the ice cream in the middle and completed it with the other layer of crust. If you don't have the ice-cream sandwich maker you can simply use a baking pan. To make the sandwiches come out clean you can put a lining of parchment paper. Add the first layer of crust and smooth with a spatula and then do the same technique with the ice-cream using as much or as little depending on the thickness you would like for the ice-cream. Freeze for 1 hour and then add your final layer of crust. Freeze overnight and then cut into rectangles.
6. Optional: If you would like to add layers of fruit or jam that pairs nicely with this recipe too. Just make sure to add this layer in between the ice-cream and the final layer of crust!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I hope to make more variations this summer.