Meditation turns your attention inwards, focusing on the present moment. Meditation can be done from the comfort of your own home. Research shows meditation boosts your health, happiness and peace of mind.
Meditation boosts your health in many ways, it increases immune function, decreases pain, decreases inflammation at the cellular level. Meditation decreases stress, anxiety and depression and increases positive emotion and boosts happiness.
Daily meditation practice can help to retrain our minds when dealing with stress; recent studies have shown that meditation was associated with increased grey matter in the hippocampus, which is responsible for learning an memory, and decreased grey matter in the amygdala, which is the initiator of the brain’s pre-cortical alarm system. These physiological changes parallel the theory that meditation increases conscious control over emotional, behavioral, and attentional responses to threat.
Meditation gives you perspective by observing your mind and it also has scientific psychological benefits as well. Research has shown how meditation may change the brain and improve mental and physical well-being.
Simple Meditation Practice:
1. Find a comfortable seating position. Sit upright on a pillow for comfort.
2. Begin to notice your breathing. Try to maintain an open mind. Notice where the breath enters and leaves your body.
3. Do not try to change your breathing. Let it occur naturally.
4. If your mind wanders away, notice what it is doing and gently return your attention back to your breathing.
5. Continue observing your breath for 15 minutes.